10+ Emacs Alternative & Similar Software – 2022
Emacs is a family of text editors that provides you with rich extensibility features. It is an acronym of Editor Macros. It is used worldwide with millions of users. It was first released in the year 1976. Since then, it has evolved into an efficient and productive software for users. Right now, it follows the open-source approach. So, it allows you to access its source code easily. In this way, you will also be able to customize it in your own way if you want to.
Moreover, it has over 10,000 commands in it. Through which, you can easily perform different functions. Plus, the user interface is also pretty easy to use and intuitive. And, it allows you to combine different commands in the software. It will help you with automating a lot of work. Other than that, the software is licensed under the General Public License by the developers.
Along with the above features, Emacs offers cross-platform compatibility which means that it is available for multiple platforms. Those platforms are given below:
- Mac OS.
With this wide range of availability, there won’t be any type of compatibility issues for you. The software is written in Lisp as well as C programming language. With this number of features, it is a customizable and extensible software. So, you will be able to customize it in your own way.
List Of Best Emacs Alternative Software.
- Cross-Platform Availability with Multiple Utilities.
- Support for GCC-Based Compilers and CVS.
- Not Available Mac OS Devices.
Visual Studio Code is a software which performs as source-code editor. In this, you can easily do coding in different languages. And, it will assist you in running that code. Also, it was first released in the year 2015. This software is developed and distributed by Microsoft. Mostly, this software is used for coding and debugging of any particular code. Moreover, it has other functions like embedded GitHub control, intelligent code completion, etc. All of these features will directly assist you in coding. In this way, you will be comfortable in coding. Also, it will affect your speed of coding because it offers intelligent code completion. Other than that, it has support to syntax highlighting, code refactoring, and snippets. These features will help you while you are coding. Also, it has a simple and uncluttered interface with a dark theme. Although, there are other themes too which you can use.
- Software Available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux Devices.
- Allows Typescript Integration with Support to Extensions.
- File Search is Quite Slow.
- Easy to Use and Setup with User-Friendly Interface.
- Available for Free with Support for Professional Programming Tools.
- No More Development and Upgrades.
- Free and Easy To Use Software Available for Windows Devices.
- Support for C/C++ Source Parser with Versatile Tools and Features.
- Doesn't Offer Compatibility Issues.
- Available for Windows and Linux Devices.
- Free and Open Source Software with Support to Multi-Threading.
- Code Completion is quite Poor.
- Software Available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS Devices.
- Open-Source and Free Software with File-Explorer View of Workspace.
- User Interface is pretty Bland, Not Attractive.
- Cross-Platform Availability with Debugging Features.
- Support for Multiple Languages and Plugins.
- Lagging Issue.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility with Easy To Use Interface.
- Support for Multiple Programming Languages and Beta Version.
- Not Available for Mac OS Devices.
- Application Development ToolKit (ADT) which includes application development tools.
- Product Development Toolkit (PDT) includes product creation and contribution.
- Available for Symbian OS with User-Friendly Interface.
- Support for Different Toolkits and Multiple Plugins.
- Doesn't Offer Software for Windows or Mac OS Devices.
- Easy To Use and User-Friendly Interface with DOS Platform Availability.
- Support for C Language and Developing Tools.
- Not Available for Windows or Mac OS Devices.
We hope you all like these Emacs alternatives. If you believe we missed any important alternative to Emacs software then don’t forget to share it with us. We will definitely review it and add that Emacs alternatives software into the list.